Beans On Tour

Crazy Irish Kid Set Loose On Oz and Southeast Asia. Click the archives for old news, and scroll down here for the new! God bless Ireland

My Photo
Name:
Location: Athlone - Soon to be in Asia!, Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Welcome to my blog for the trip to SE Asia. Leave a comment if you can, t'will be greatly appreciated! ;) Hope you enjoy.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Diving and drenching

I take it all back.
Everything about the pathetic efforts of the lads spearfishing, I take it back.
After returning home the last day I posted, Sam had caught some beauties: A 5kg Coral trout, and a meaty flathead.
Some Coral Trout facts:
1.One of the most expensivce fish to catch here.
2. Due to it's high price, restaurants don't stock it here (About $60 per kg cost price)
3. Australia ships all caught Coral Trouts to Japan, where they can afford them.
4. It has luminous blue dots on it, and can range from red to brown in colour.

Well my beautiful new board went out for it's third day of surf, and got smashed by a learner.
Here's some irony:
I got cut off on a wave, thus breaking the board off someone. Who? The guy who was supposed to buy my old board.

Nice guy though, I got him to pay for a kit to repair it, which is a tenth of the price of repairing it, and Sam taught me how to repair it. So something good came of it!

I sold my old board!
Trigger is gone, but will always be in our hearts and thoughts.
Long live Trigger!

We enrolled for the advanced dive eventually, and did three of the five dives:

The first being a night dive - Crazy. I would recommend it, however everything that swims at night here, will kill you, either by venom, or brute force.

The second, a nav dive - With and without compass, good craic, myself and Macleod did great. Tim and Smeels did shite - ah no they didn't, they just took their sweet time!

The third was a drift dive - Less effort, which is nice, just letting the current take you. We got in in the middle of an erractic shoal of fish, twas eerie, as you were just being dragged by the current, whilst a torrent of fish hurtled around you.

The last two dives are a deep dive, and a naturalist dive, which are being done out on the Barrier Reef, but due to bad weather and wind( It rained all day one of the days there, weird to see grey skies like that again) we've had to wait for days. We might just have to leave soon!
Speaking of running out of time.
Time up here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home