Beans On Tour

Crazy Irish Kid Set Loose On Oz and Southeast Asia. Click the archives for old news, and scroll down here for the new! God bless Ireland

My Photo
Name:
Location: Athlone - Soon to be in Asia!, Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Welcome to my blog for the trip to SE Asia. Leave a comment if you can, t'will be greatly appreciated! ;) Hope you enjoy.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Good for the falafel

Ok we left Koh Tao yesterday morning on the 10AM ferry, got a bus from there to Bangkok, ran to collect bags on the way to the train that took us from there to Chiang Mai.
After 29hours of travelling we arrived here. It's like Bangkok with out the bad stuff, OK yes there are still tuk-tuk drivers pleading you to hop in with them, also I'm sure it wasn't all woman that tried to lure me into some club there earlier....
On a lighter note, Smeels is chillaxin' in the abode for tonight, while myself and Raychel took a stroll to the Night Bazaar, an absolutely massive night market, we walked for two hours and still were only half-way through gawking at the bits and bobs. So much crafts and hand-carved objects of delicate workmanship. We made friends with the owner of a restaurant here, I'm actually on his pc upstairs writing this now, nice guy, trying to give everyone free shots of snake whiskey ( a Laos drink which actually has a Python inside the bottle with a smaller snake in its mouth - not sure how I feel about this absurd drink) and what not. Get this, he's from Israel, but also is half Italian so he speaks that as well. His clients are english speaking, so he speaks that too. His business is here so he speaks Thai too! I put him at round 23 years old, Madness!
Anywhoo, after our long journey, we're gonna chill out tomorrow and do a bit of browsing.
After that, it's trek-time! Yes indeed. Gotta get me auld bits tomorrow for it.
OK we're also offered free movies in this guys place here so I think it's the Simpsons on now behind me.
God bless Thailand, and our Adam Sandler lookalike host.
Better go digest.


P.S. I had another entry from last night, but we drank so much on the train, (as I was convinced the four Japenese men opposite us in the dining carriage were trying to out drink two Irish girls and myself - fools I tell you!) that on looking at the scribbles on the page today, I think it best to leave out whatever I had in my head last night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your diving cert - does that make you a Padi Paddy? Reads like you're having an interesting adventure. Things are going good back home. Mooney was over for the past week and a half. He got in 2 Brideswells (we threw in an extra one) & 2 Flannerys and a wedding in Carrick on Shannon. Tyrone won the All Ireland football after a classic match yesterday. Cork won the hurling a few weeks ago. On Saturday last we went to the Johnny Keenan Banjo Festival in Longford. It was a five hour concert with over a thousand attending in the Longford Arms ballroom to see the main concert of the festival. Niall Toner Band opened - average, Tony Trishka & band from US did trad bluegrass (banjo, fiddle, guitar & vocals) - good. Gerry OConnor and band did trad/jazzy Irish - brilliant. He was accompanied by Brendan ORegan(flatback bouzouki) and Donogh Hennessy (Lowden guitar) - yes, the Lunasa man. It was standing ovation stuff - & that's what they got. Bella Fleck was top of the bill. He was outstanding. He plays jazz/bluegrass contemporary type banjo. It was so effortless to him playing at hurricane speed. I was drawn more to Gerry OConnor style of music however - I got his CD.
Stay well and keep the music rolling.

5:44 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home